Before the babies cord falls off it's important to give the baby a sponge bath. Keep the cord dry, it will fall off on it's own. At the hospital have the nurses show you how to give the baby a sponge bath. They will need one before they leave the hospital and every hospital does sponge baths differently. With all the formula they drink, and with how much they poop their going to need a sponge bath before leaving the hospital and after they come home. When their cord falls off they are ready for a full bath in their baby tub.
Have everything set up and ready to go before starting.
1. Have 2 Bowls of Warm Water
3. New Diaper and Outfit
4. Towel to give them a bath on, Towel to keep them warm, and Towel to dry them off after their bath
5. Baby soap and lotion
There are a couple of steps to take to make sure a sponge bath is a calm and warm experience for baby.
1. Put naked baby on a towel and cover them with another towel.
2. Start under neck and wash your way down. Remember to get the creases under the neck where formula tries to collect.
3. Use a good amount of warm water so they don't get cold and keep them warm with a towel. Another towel will be needed to dry them after their clean.
4. Wash their hair last. Wet the baby brush and add shampoo to the brush. Wash hair in circles until their hair is all soapy and clean.
5. Use the brush to rinse their hair. By rinsing the brush with warm clear water and brushing their hair, and repeating the process until all the soap is out of their hair. This will prevent cradle cap and keep their hair clean and washing dead skin away.
6. Dry Baby.
7. Lotion Baby.
8. Diaper and Clothe baby.
9. Swaddle Baby.
We Love the Babies
Mother of 3, graduated from Early Childhood Education program and continues to further knowledge on child development.