Have everything set up and ready to go before starting.
1. Have 2 Bowls of Warm Water
- 1 soapy warm water with a wash cloth
- 1 clear warm water with a wash cloth
3. New Diaper and Outfit
- Always put baby in new diaper and a new outfit after washing them.
4. Towel to give them a bath on, Towel to keep them warm, and Towel to dry them off after their bath
5. Baby soap and lotion
There are a couple of steps to take to make sure a sponge bath is a calm and warm experience for baby.
1. Put naked baby on a towel and cover them with another towel.
2. Start under neck and wash your way down. Remember to get the creases under the neck where formula tries to collect.
3. Use a good amount of warm water so they don't get cold and keep them warm with a towel. Another towel will be needed to dry them after their clean.
4. Wash their hair last. Wet the baby brush and add shampoo to the brush. Wash hair in circles until their hair is all soapy and clean.
5. Use the brush to rinse their hair. By rinsing the brush with warm clear water and brushing their hair, and repeating the process until all the soap is out of their hair. This will prevent cradle cap and keep their hair clean and washing dead skin away.
6. Dry Baby.
7. Lotion Baby.
8. Diaper and Clothe baby.
9. Swaddle Baby.
- Keep baby warm during their baths.
- Keep babies cord dry, and give sponge baths until it falls off on it's own.
- Have everything ready to go before starting and at arms reach.
- Support babies neck from falling backwards or forward.
- Baths are better for their bellies if given before they eat.
- Use lotion to prevent drying out babies skin.
- Use NON scented products on newborns to prevent reactions.
- Wash babies mouth and tongue with a warm non soapy wash cloth. Use a clean wash cloth until they have teeth and then use a baby tooth brush. This will keep their gums from rotting from the formula.
- Comfort baby and swaddle them when done with their baths. This can be traumatic and can really make them upset if they are not comfortable and warm during the process. They need to hear your voice.
- Give bath in a warm room.